Remember Remember the 5th November – At Home-Start MAJIK we all enjoy a good firework party but are mindful that we have responsibilities and need to be safe so thanks to our friends at Mumsnet list of safety advice we hope it will be a great night for all.
A sparkler can reach a temperature of up to 2,000°C – ie 20 times the boiling point of water, according to the Child Accident Prevention Trust – so the safety advice is:
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- Don’t give sparklers to children under the age of five – they don’t properly understand why they can be dangerous
- Don’t hold babies and young children while you’re holding a sparkler in case they reach out unexpectedly
- Supervise children aged five and over when they’re holding sparklers
- Make sure children are wearing gloves (but be aware that they won’t fully protect their hands from burns)
- Don’t let children run around with sparklers or pick spent sparklers up once they’ve finished
- Have buckets of water to put spent sparklers in
As one Mumsnetter put it: “The rule with waving sparklers around (courtesy of one of my friends, and for little boys at least) is: no higher than your willy, and always at arm’s length.”
First things first, the Firework Code:
- Stand well back
- Keep pets indoors
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114
- Light at arm’s length, using a taper
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Always supervise children around fireworks
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
- Never go near a firework that has been lit – even if it hasn’t gone off it could still explode
Before you buy, check what it says on the box about the fireworks’ ‘clearance distance’ – there’s no point in shelling out for rockets that need 30m if your garden is only 10m.
And if you buy fireworks designed for a much larger space, you also risk damaging children’s hearing – fireworks can be well over 140 decibels, which is loud enough to cause tinnitus and hearing damage, say hearing charities.
The audiology team at Action on Hearing Loss (formerly RNID), recommends the following to make sure that the whole family can enjoy the ‘ooos’ and the ‘aaahs’ of Bonfire Night without the ‘ouch’:
- How loud is too loud? Sounds above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss, with some fireworks hitting 70dB above this danger level – worse than standing near a pneumatic drill (90dB) or a jet taking off (1290dB) The louder the noise, the shorter the length of time you’re able to listen for before there’s a risk of permanent hearing damage. 155dB could cause hearing loss in a millisecond.
- You can protect little ears from firework bangs with ear defenders, which are readily available from many online outlets, come in a range of fun colours and can be re-used throughout the year, such as at New Year’s Eve displays, festivals or days out at the football.
- If you’re setting off fireworks at home it is particularly important to wear ear plugs or ear defenders as it’s more likely you will be closer to the loud sounds.
- There are no hard-and-fast rules on this, but if you’re attending larger firework displays try to stand at what you’d consider a ‘safe’ distance from where the fireworks are being set off. Some fireworks displays have designated Spectator Areas.
- Take it seriously: If you notice any hearing loss or your child complains of ringing in their ears after your Bonfire Night activities, visit your GP and ask for a hearing test.
“Set the fireworks in firm soil or sand and do not aim them towards other people’s gardens or houses.”
“Tape off the bonfire so people can’t get too close. We do fireworks behind this tape, too.”
“Get different adults to ‘be in charge’ of different aspects – one overseeing the bonfire, two setting off the fireworks, two in charge of sparklers, someone else in charge of food etc. It’s much safer because you don’t keep getting distracted away from one task to do another.”
“Do not allow any child to creep up the garden to get nearer the fireworks or ‘help’. Set them a distance boundary and stick to it (even if it means yelling at other people’s kids).”
“Consider ear defenders. My son is five and only recently realised that fireworks are pretty – up until then, it turns out, he had been too terrified by the noise to watch.”
“Always make sure the firework is the right way up… we had a very impressive explosion that threw half the garden into everyone’s face.”
The same rules apply to bonfires as fireworks: keep children at a safe distance. Site your bonfire away from fences, trees and sheds, and, if possible, somewhere sheltered from gusts of wind.
Once it’s lit, don’t leave the bonfire unattended and have a bucket of water or hose nearby, in case of emergencies.
Throwing fireworks or sparklers into the fire is a seriously stupid dangerous idea. And once the bonfire has died down, spray the embers with water to prevent them reigniting.
Protecting pets on Bonfire Night
Pyrotechnics and pets don’t go. So if your family pet is frightened of fireworks, see your vet for advice before 5 November.
One Mumsnetter says: “The golden rule is to act normally and to avoid punishing or comforting a frightened pet. Just make them a comfortable, soundproofed den (cupboard under the stairs/old duvet thrown over a space between furniture/bathroom – wherever they’ll go willingly), close the curtains and put the telly on.”
Visit our Pets discussion board if you need/ can impart more words of wisdom about keeping your family’s furry friends safe and calm on 5 November.
We’ve got advice on treating burns on our first aid for children pages – you need to treat a firework burn as you would a burn from a fire. Obviously, if someone does get burnt and you’re unsure of the severity of their injury, administer first aid but get medical expert help.
Source : Mumsnet